by Julia Scalise, DN, PhD
As the 4th of July holiday approaches, we see many announcements and advertisements for fireworks events. The spectacular displays are both exciting and beautiful to watch. The bursts of color and design are a delight to the eyes. But these demonstrations are short lived, and quickly fizzle and fade.
I hear a similar and parallel experience going on in many people’s lives. They often tell me that other than an occasional burst of excitement or energy in anticipation of and through an upcoming happy event, their spark for life in general seems to fizzle and fade quickly. They feel as if they are sometimes just going through the motions of living, feeling disconnected, and sort of “dead from the neck up”.
There are many potential underlying causes to these types of feelings and the best approach is to work with your healthcare team to discover the reasons and ways to address them. However, in the interim, the following tips for adding spark back into your life may help. Of course, if you have known health conditions, take any medications, or aren’t sure if these suggestions are contraindicated for YOU, always check with your practitioners or pharmacist. If you choose to use any of the herbs or products listed, follow label directions.
1) Liver Support: The Liver is responsible to filter out toxins in our systems. But it also functions to maintain blood sugar stability, convert the thyroid hormone T4 to T3( which is the hormone that helps with energy, metabolism, body temperature, and weight management), and works to filter some excess hormones out of the body once they have done their job. Without proper liver function you can feel sluggish, have issues with constipation, and experience low energy, and lack of motivation. Some herbs that help with liver function are Milk Thistle, Dandelion, and Globe Artichoke.
2) Immune Support: Chronic viruses like Epstein Barr Virus, Cytomegalovirus, chronic bacterial infections, parasites, and candida or yeast overgrowth can really wear out one’s immune system. When the immune system is overwhelmed with any of these pathogens, energy producing adrenal hormones and feel-good neurotransmitter production suffers. You can experience low energy, brain fog, low motivation, and overall not feeling well or willing to participate in life. Therefore, immune support may give you a substantial positive boost. Some herbs for immune support are Echinacea, Withania and Astragalus.
3) Allergy Support: If you suffer from seasonal allergies, you know how they can negatively impact your energy levels. But you may not be aware that you have allergies to other substances such as dust, mold, household products, furniture, carpets, fabrics, fragrances, self –care products, etc. And although not a true allergy, sensitivities to some foods evoke similar reactions. If you are exposed daily, or consume them regularly, they will trigger elevation of histamine and increased inflammations. Some support for allergy, other than avoiding anything of which you are suspect, should address histamine and inflammation. Activated Quercetin contains Quercetin, Bromelain, and Vitamin C. In combination the anti-histamine, anti-inflammatory, and immune boosting properties can help to down-regulate your complaints. Also, Guna Allergy Treat and Guna Allergy Prevent, used according to label directions can also be of great benefit. ( www.GunaInc.com for information and direct ordering)
[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”160″ identifier=”1452593019″ locale=”US” src=”https://mltjrewlt60o.i.optimole.com/dCIylYc-fq8YeWoP/w:auto/h:auto/q:auto/https://brainspeak.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/518bitUDIfL.SL160.jpg” tag=”brainspcom05-20″ width=”104″]
4) Stamina Support: If you find that you have the mental motivation to participate in life, but just don’t have the physical stamina, then consideration for addressing the fatigue, muscle cramping from activity, and better cellular oxygenation and utilization may be what is necessary to keep you going once you get started. CoEnzyme Q10 improves oxygenation and its utilization.
Also Guna again has a few products that support these very issues. They are Gunamino and Omeosport. Gunamino contains essential amino acids, B vitamins, Magnesium, and Powergrape-a plant extract from grapes which is a powerful antioxidant. Omeosport contains homeopathic substances which reduce muscle cramping, muscle soreness, and enhances endurance. Although daily long term use of these 2 products is not advised, a boost to help keep you moving once you get started is available.
5) Hormone and Neurotransmitter Support: Hormone and/or neurotransmitter deficiencies or imbalances can play a major role in mood, motivation, low energy, and lack of feeling connected to life in general. However, taking any hormones or neurotransmitters without knowing exactly what is needed and the amounts can create more problems than they can fix. Therefore, you should always be tested by your healthcare team. Find practitioners that will use saliva and urine testing versus blood tests for the values and results will be more accurate. When I test my clients, the company I use will then custom blend hormone creams, neurotransmitter creams, and amino acid powders based on the individual’s results. This then enables my client to get exactly what they need, no more and no less, so as not to overshoot or undershoot the delicate balance. If you are suspicious of hormones and neurotransmitters being the underlying cause of your lack of spark for life, and don’t have access to practitioners to be tested, contact me through my website.
There are various health issues, medications, and other life stressors that can deplete you of your zest for life. Nothing should be overlooked or discounted. But until you can discover what is keeping you feeling “dead from the neck up” and withdrawn from participating to the fullest in your day to day life, I am hoping some of these tips improve your status in the interim.
Wishing you health and living your best life.
[easyazon_infoblock align=”none” identifier=”1452593019″ locale=”US” tag=”brainspcom05-20″]