Depression manifests itself different ways, but can be accompanied by anxiety, eating disorders, insomnia and sadly, even suicidal tendencies, making it a very serious affliction for millions of sufferers. If you struggle with depression, know there is help!
Regardless of the severity or circumstances surrounding your depression, you should have a professional consultation. “Clinical depression” is the term psychologists have given to more severe forms of depression, and will include either a loss of interest in daily activities or a sustained depressed mood. Your doctor can properly diagnose what type of depression you are experiencing, and recommend therapy or medicine to help you if required.
There is a lot you can do to help yourself overcome depression.
1. Find Something Interesting. If you’re dealing with depression, you should work to find interests or hobbies you feel passionate about. Not having sufficient interests or being sedentary can cause depression. You need to stay active when fighting depression, so think about taking up new hobbies. Play some basketball, go for a hike, start walking the dog – anything that keeps you busy and active. Whatever you decide to do, an excellent way to overcome depression is to spark some new interests.
2. Do You See The Light? Going outside into the sunshine can help your depression.. Depression can be worsened by not receiving enough sunlight.
3. Don’t Box Yourself In. Your first step to fighting depression should be to stop speaking the word “depression” altogether. Labeling yourself with a word such as “depression” will exacerbate the stigma attached to them. Rather, simply tell yourself you are feeling down. If you consider it “elevating your mood” rather than “battling depression”, it will be easier to accomplish.
4. Identify the Root Cause. With depression there are many causes. Try to find what is at the root of YOUR depression. Once you are able to better understand what is causing you to have these feelings, you should be able to handle the hard moments much better.
5. Take a Tip from Madonna and Vogue. When you feel like you look nice it is easier to feel better about yourself – put on makeup or nice clothes to help boost your mood. Get dressed up and hit the town, change your environment for a few hours. Making the effort to look better and more attractive will boost your confidence, ease your mind, and help fight depression.
Again, always consult a professional when dealing with depression. Don’t allow more serious conditions to take hold if you suffer from depression. Before you fall victim to things like eating disorders and suicidal thoughts, use the tips provided here to rise above the depression and to once again experience the joy of living. Take depression seriously, and work to defeat it.